- The Japanese gaming studio led by “Metallic Gear Stable” creator Hideo Kojima introduced a brand new undertaking this week.
- It is the second undertaking because the studio turned unbiased in 2015. Earlier than that, Kojima Productions existed as a subsidiary of the Japanese recreation writer Konami, the place Kojima created and oversaw the “Metallic Gear Stable” franchise.
- Little is understood in regards to the new recreation, and it is unclear if it is a sequel to the studio’s final title, “Demise Stranding.”
- Go to Enterprise Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
The studio behind “Demise Stranding,” led by the legendary creator of the “Metallic Gear” franchise, is engaged on a brand new undertaking.
Kojima Productions introduced as a lot in a tweet on Thursday morning.
“#KojimaProductions confirms a brand new undertaking is in growth and is seeking to rent the best-in-class expertise to work out of our Tokyo studio,” it mentioned.
The brand new undertaking marks the second manufacturing from Kojima’s recreation studio since going unbiased in 2015.
Beforehand, Kojima and his staff operated as a subsidiary of the Japanese recreation writer Konami, the place they produced the beloved “Metallic Gear Stable” recreation and sequence. Instantly earlier than and following the launch of 2015’s “Metallic Gear Stable V: The Phantom Ache,” nonetheless, rising rifts between Kojima’s studio and Konami turned public.
- First, Kojima’s manufacturing division, often called Kojima Productions, had its logos and verbiage faraway from the official “Metallic Gear Stable V: The Phantom Ache” web site (noticed by members on the gaming discussion board NeoGAF in March 2015).
- Quickly after, Kojima Productions was dissolved (the Japanese newspaper Nikkei reported).
- Then, Konami was pressured to challenge a press release. The assertion, nonetheless, did little to make clear the state of affairs. (Right here it’s in full.)
- When “Metallic Gear Stable V: The Phantom Ache” received an award at The Recreation Awards later that 12 months, Kojima wasn’t allowed to attend and obtain it. The sport’s predominant voice actor, Kiefer Sutherland, was available in his place — see the total video right here.
- It was rumored on the time that Kojima’s contract with Konami was to finish in December 2015 and he would create his personal studio.
- That rumor was seemingly confirmed in 2015 as Kojima left Konami, re-formed Kojima Productions as an unbiased studio, and created a PlayStation 4 unique recreation: 2019’s “Demise Stranding.”
Although not as fashionable or as success as earlier Kojima titles, “Demise Stranding” went on to essential and industrial success.
“We have completely crossed the road we wanted to cross to be within the black, together with recovering growth prices, so I would name it a profitable end result,” Kojima advised Livedoor in an interview translated by VGC earlier this 12 months. “We nonetheless have the PC launch developing, and we have secured sufficient to start getting ready for our subsequent undertaking, so there is no want to fret.”
It is unclear if this new undertaking is a sequel to 2019’s “Demise Stranding” or one thing solely new. Kojima, who may be very lively on social media, has teased numerous concepts for a brand new recreation — all the things from a horror undertaking alongside the traces of his acclaimed “Silent Hills” demo to an outright “Demise Stranding” sequel.
Bought a tip? Contact Enterprise Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert by way of e-mail ([email protected]) or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We will preserve sources nameless. Use a nonwork gadget to succeed in out. PR pitches by e-mail solely, please.