Info for group teams in Brighton & Hove about licensing and laws for occasions and fundraising actions.
- Bingo, race nights & on line casino nights
- Music, movies and different leisure
- Occasions on public land
- Food and drinks
- Avenue collections
- Avenue closures
- Crèches, kids’s actions and work with weak adults
Many small raffles don’t must be registered. These are:
- Raffles run throughout the course of one other occasion, akin to a fête or social gathering.
- Raffles which might be restricted to members of a bunch or membership
- Raffles which might be restricted to individuals who all dwell on the identical premises or work for a similar organisation
- Raffles which might be restricted to clients of a enterprise.
There are limitations to how these raffles may be run. See beneath for extra data.
Raffles by which tickets are offered to members of the general public prematurely have to be registered.
An incidental non-commercial lottery
It is a raffle that takes place throughout the course of an occasion – e.g. the tickets are offered and the raffle drawn throughout a gathering, fête or social gathering. It doesn’t must be registered. Tickets can solely be offered on the occasion and the winners have to be introduced on the occasion. Not more than £100 may be spent on organising prices, and not more than £500 may be spent on prizes. There are further restrictions if you need alcohol as prizes.
A personal society lottery
It is a raffle the place the sale of tickets is restricted to members of your society (membership, group or organisation). It doesn’t must be registered. You can too promote tickets to non-members (company) however solely in your organisation’s premises. Proceeds should go to the organisation or one other charitable goal (after organising prices and prizes are deducted). There are further restrictions if you need alcohol as prizes.
A piece lottery and a residents’ lottery
These embrace raffles by which tickets are solely offered to:
- individuals who all work on the identical premises, or
- individuals who all dwell on the identical premises.
These don’t must be registered. In case you are elevating cash for a very good trigger, you have to promote this when promoting the tickets. In case you are not elevating cash for a very good trigger, all revenue have to be spent on the prices of organising the lottery and shopping for prizes. There are further restrictions if you need alcohol as prizes.
A buyer lottery
Companies can organise lotteries for his or her clients. These don’t must be registered. Tickets should solely be offered on the enterprise’ personal premises, to its clients. Prizes have to be price lower than £50.
Buyer lotteries can’t be used for fundraising. All cash raised should go in the direction of shopping for the prizes and organising the lottery. Every ticket should state: the worth of the ticket; the title and handle of the promoters; who’s entitled to purchase a ticket; and that tickets are non-transferable as soon as they’ve been offered.
A raffle that’s run by a non-commercial society (akin to a charity or group group), by which tickets are offered to members of the general public prematurely, is known as a ‘Society Lottery’. These have to be registered.
Small society lottery
When you promote lower than £20,000 price of tickets (and fewer than £250,000 price over one yr), your lottery is a “small society lottery”. These have to be registered along with your native authority. There’s a small annual price. In Brighton & Hove, contact the council’s Well being & Security and Licensing Staff. You can obtain a kind from the council web site or request that they ship you one. You need to do that at the least 28 days earlier than you need to run your lottery. They may assess your utility, together with a police test for related offences, and concern a certificates if they’re happy that you just meet the factors. You can’t begin your lottery till a certificates has been acquired.
You need to preserve clear information of all cash spent, all cash acquired, and what number of tickets every particular person has taken to promote. That is so that each one cash and tickets can be accounted for and also you don’t lose monitor of what you’ve got offered. When your raffle is completed you have to to finish one other kind exhibiting how a lot cash you collected, and the way a lot you spent on bills and prizes. You have to do that inside three months of operating your raffle.
The principle situations for a small society lottery are:
- It will possibly solely be used to lift cash to for a very good trigger. Not less than 20% of the proceeds should go to this. As much as 80% may be spent on prizes and bills. There have to be no personal acquire.
- No prize may be price greater than £25,000.
- A member of your committee have to be named because the ‘promoter’ and this have to be agreed in writing by the committee.
- Your raffle tickets may be paper or digital, and should embrace the next data
- the title of the group operating the raffle
- the title and handle of the promoter (this may be the group’s handle)
- the date the raffle might be drawn
- the worth of the ticket (which have to be the identical for all tickets)
- affirmation that the raffle has been registered with Brighton and Hove Metropolis Council.
- There are free on-line applications you should utilize to design your personal raffle tickets. You’ll be able to print them on the Useful resource Centre.
- Tickets can solely be offered to these aged 16 or above.
- Tickets can’t be offered on the street, however may be offered in a kiosk, store or door-to-door.
- See separate part about alcohol for laws about having alcohol as raffle prizes.
Massive society lottery
In case you are promoting tickets price over £20,000 for one lottery, otherwise you promote greater than £250,000 price of tickets in a single yr (in separate lotteries), your lottery is a “giant society lottery” and have to be registered with the Playing Fee.
Bingo, race nights & on line casino nights
Bingo, race nights & on line casino nights are types of what the Playing Fee calls “Gaming”. There are two major forms of gaming:
- Prize Gaming: all of the prizes are put up prematurely and aren’t depending on the variety of gamers or sum of money collected.
- Equal Probability Gaming: the sum of money paid out in prizes depends on how a lot is collected in admission fees and sale of tickets.
You want a licence to run Prize or Equal Probability gaming actions until you might be solely fundraising for a very good trigger (“non-commercial gaming“) or the gaming is run for a particular group of individuals in personal premises, akin to workers at a office, residents at a housing scheme or members of a sports activities membership (“personal gaming“).
- You don’t want a licence to play bingo or run a race night time or on line casino night time if you’re enjoying for ‘good causes’. That is referred to as “non-commercial gaming”.
- For prize video games, there isn’t any restrict on admission charges, ticket fees, or prize worth.
- For equal likelihood video games, you can not cost greater than £8 complete admission price and ticket gross sales, and the full worth of prizes at one occasion can not exceed £600.
- Gamers have to be knowledgeable of the great trigger that can profit from the cash raised.
- No proceeds from the sport, or from the occasion itself, may be for personal revenue. If anyone is making personal acquire from the sport, or from the occasion at which it’s held, it’s not “non-commercial” and is more likely to want a licence.
- Non-commercial gaming can not happen on a premises which already has a Playing Licence (akin to a on line casino).
- Gaming is taken into account “personal” if it takes place in a setting which doesn’t have public entry, akin to a office, a housing scheme or for members of a society (akin to a sports activities membership or group group). You don’t want a licence for personal gaming.
- You can’t cost an admission price.
- It can’t be open to the general public.
- The sport can not happen on premises that are licensed for operating business playing actions (akin to a on line casino or bingo corridor).
- There have to be no personal acquire – proceeds should both be given as prizes, given to the society operating the occasion, or given to a different good trigger.
- In most personal contexts, solely equal likelihood gaming is permitted. You’ll be able to solely run prize gaming if:
- The sport is being run to lift cash for a very good trigger or society (i.e. it’s non-commercial gaming), and/or
- the sport is being run in somebody’s dwelling, as a part of a home exercise,
- or in a residential setting akin to a housing scheme or halls of residence, (the place it’s not being run in the midst of operating a commerce or enterprise, and at the least 50% contributors are residents).
Different forms of gaming
Gaming in different contexts normally requires a licence. This consists of gaming on the premises of members’ golf equipment (akin to Working Males’s Golf equipment).
For extra details about gaming licences, contact the Playing Fee.
Music, movies and different leisure
In case you are offering leisure you might want two totally different licences:
- a licence from the native council that entitles you to offer public leisure
- a separate licence that provides you the precise to carry out copyrighted materials or play recorded music and movies.
Native council leisure licences
Some forms of leisure require the premises to have an leisure licence from the native authority.
Typically, occasions happening at night time between 11pm and 8am require an leisure licence. As well as, the next forms of exercise typically require licences:
- amplified dwell or recorded music with an viewers of greater than 500 folks;
- recorded music on premises not licensed for the sale or provide of alcohol;
- a efficiency of a play or a dance to an viewers of greater than 500 folks;
- indoor sporting occasions with greater than 1,000 spectators;
- boxing or wrestling;
- screening a movie to an viewers.
There are several types of native authority leisure licence. These are:
- a Premises Licence,
- a Membership Premises Certificates
- a Non permanent Occasion Discover.
In case your occasion wants an leisure licence, test whether or not the venue has a Premises Licence or a Membership Premises Certificates issued by the Metropolis Council. The licence should cowl the actions you might be organising, for instance, some premises are licensed for music and dancing however not for stage and movie exhibits. Your occasion may even should happen within the premises’ licensed opening hours.
If the venue doesn’t have an appropriate licence, you have to to serve a Non permanent Occasion Discover (TEN) on the Council and the Police at the least 10 days earlier than the occasion. TENs can cowl occasions that last as long as 96 hours and contain not more than 499 folks.
You’ll be able to obtain a Non permanent Occasion Discover Utility Type from the Metropolis Council web site.
If you wish to organise an occasion outside, eg a avenue social gathering (see part 5 beneath) it is advisable contact the Council to search out out should you ought to serve a Non permanent Occasion Discover.
In case you are in any doubt contact the Well being & Security and Licensing Staff at Brighton and Hove Metropolis Council.
Who doesn’t want an leisure licence?
There are some conditions by which you don’t want an leisure licence. Keep in mind that you could be nonetheless want a separate licence to play copyrighted materials.
You don’t want an leisure licence for
- Unamplified dwell music occasions which occur between 8am and 11pm
- Occasions together with dwell or recorded music with an viewers of lower than 500, which occur between 8am and 11pm, in a premises which is licensed to serve alcohol
- Occasions together with dwell or recorded music, or not-for-profit movie showings, with an viewers of lower than 500, which occur between 8am and 11pm in a group venue (akin to a village corridor or group centre)
- Occasions together with dwell or recorded music, with an viewers of lower than 500, that are organised by a 3rd social gathering on a college, native authority or hospital premises and happen between 8am and 11pm.
- Occasions together with any kind of regulated leisure, with any viewers measurement, that are organised by a college, native authority or hospital on their very own premises and happen between 8am and 11pm.
- Occasions together with dwell or recorded music, with an viewers of lower than 500, which occur between 8am and 11pm in a office.
Performing or enjoying copyright materials
If you wish to carry out music written by another person, or if you wish to play recorded music or video, the premises you might be utilizing will want a licence to play copyrighted music.
- In case your occasion consists of dwell music you have to test the venue has a Performing Rights Society (PRS) licence.
- In case you are enjoying recorded music you have to test the venue has a PRS licence AND a Phonographic Efficiency Restricted (PPL) licence.
- Group buildings run by voluntary organisations should purchase a joint PRS and PPL licence.
- For extra data contact Phonographic Efficiency Restricted or PRS for Music.
When you want to present a movie in a spot which isn’t a personal dwelling, you want a one-off licence providing you with the precise to indicate the movie. You must purchase a brand new licence for each movie. There are only a few exceptions to this, one in all which is that you don’t want a licence to indicate a curriculum-based movie in a state college.
To acquire a copyright licence to display a movie, contact Filmbank Distributors or Movement Image Licensing Firm (MPLC) (copyright licensing distributors on behalf of all main movie studios). For helpful details about organising movie showings, see BFI Neighbourhood Cinema.
If you wish to promote alcohol you must first test that the venue you might be utilizing has a Premises Licence and that there’s a named ‘supervisor’ who holds a Private Licence to promote alcohol. Alternatively it might have a Membership Premises Certificates which incorporates the sale of alcohol. If it doesn’t have both of those you may serve a Non permanent Occasion Discover on the Council and the Police at the least 10 days earlier than the occasion at a value of £21. You’ll be able to obtain a Non permanent Occasion Discover Utility Type from the council’s web site, or contact the Well being & Security and Licensing Staff.
The supply of bottles of alcohol as prizes in raffles and tombolas is exempt from the licensing laws, supplied the the raffle/lottery fulfils sure situations (The Licensing Act 2003 [Section 175]). These are:
- The raffle have to be promoted as an incidental occasion (i.e. it’s not the primary occasion) inside an ‘exempt leisure’ – outlined as a bazaar, sale of labor, fete, dinner, dance, sporting or athletic occasion, or different leisure of an analogous character;
- after deduction of bills, the entire proceeds of the leisure are utilized for functions aside from personal acquire;
- the alcohol is in a sealed container;
- no prize is a cash prize;
- tickets are solely issued when the leisure takes place (i.e. tickets aren’t offered prematurely)
- the raffle/lottery just isn’t the primary inducement to attend
- it’s NOT permissible to promote tickets which might then be exchanged for an alcoholic drink, or to ask for a donation in return for alcohol.
You can provide away alcohol totally free at most occasions, nevertheless it have to be clear that this isn’t included in any ticket or entrance price, and isn’t a manner of making an attempt to encourage folks to purchase one thing. You want a Membership Premises Certificates if you wish to give alcohol away on the premises of a members’ membership. In case you are unsure whether or not you want a license, contact the council’s Well being & Security and Licensing Staff for recommendation.
Occasions on public land
You must apply to the council if you wish to maintain an occasion on public land. This consists of, for instance, public parks, streets, or the seafront. Permission for this must be organized by means of the Occasions Workplace prematurely. They’ll additionally assist with recommendation and details about organising outside occasions. There’s a cost for some occasions, however not all occasions. Your group might be required to have public legal responsibility insurance coverage.
Meals & drink
Non-profit organisations can promote or present free meals and non-alcoholic drinks so long as meals is ready in a hygienic method and complies with the Meals Security Act.
In case you are offering meals often (i.e. lower than as soon as a month) or the meals you might be offering are low threat meals (e.g. tea, biscuits, packaged meals saved at room temperature), then you definately don’t have to register or get any permission.
In case your meals exercise is extra common, or you might be offering larger threat meals (eg sizzling meals or meals that must be saved chilly), then you might have to register with the Meals Security Staff at Brighton & Hove Metropolis Council. See the Meals Requirements Company steerage for charities and group teams for extra particulars on who must register.
Brighton and Hove Meals Partnership present assist and recommendation to group organisations organising meals associated actions.
You want a Avenue Assortment Allow to gather cash on the street or in different public locations.
A Avenue Assortment Allow will provide you with permission to gather cash in a selected place, at a selected time. This implies it is advisable know precisely the place and once you want to gather properly prematurely.
You have to to:
- Apply at the least 28 days prematurely. Keep in mind that some areas (such because the city centre) and instances (akin to close to Christmas) are highly regarded, and you may apply properly prematurely.
- Have a accountable particular person because the applicant for the licence.
- Label all of your assortment tins and buckets with the title of your organisation.
- Seal the gathering tins with safety labels.
- Provide the Council with a ‘Type of Assertion’ inside a month of the gathering. They will provide you with the shape it is advisable full once you get your allow. It’s vital you full it, otherwise you won’t get permission to gather once more in future.
Assortment tins and buckets can be found for rent on the Useful resource Centre freed from cost. We offer safety seals should you require them. In case you are utilizing your personal assortment tins you should purchase safety labels/ringseals from Angal Ltd.
Avenue Social gathering
If you would like shut your avenue for a avenue social gathering it is advisable get permission from the Council and apply for a brief visitors regulation order. That is free for non-profit group teams.
Step one it is advisable take is to contact the Freeway Occasions Staff on the Council to search out out whether it is possible in your highway to be closed. They’ve helpful data on their website about organising a avenue closure. Some roads are important entry routes for the emergency companies and can’t be closed. If a close-by avenue is to be closed on the identical day, the Council might not permit your avenue to shut as properly.
Whether it is possible, you then want to search out out if the vast majority of the individuals who dwell on the street are blissful for it to be closed, and that nobody has any sturdy objections. To do that you have to to take a petition door-to-door and get folks to signal their names towards their home quantity. The council’s steerage is that it’s fascinating to get a very good majority of residents to signal.
When you’ve obtained your petition signed, and at the least 28 days earlier than the date of your avenue social gathering, contact the Council to use for permission to shut the highway.
You have to to plan:
- what indicators you’ll put up earlier than your occasion, and on the day, to inform highway customers of the highway closure.
- the place you’ll put up indicators/obstacles to inform autos to not enter on the day (the place the highway closure will begin and end).
You’re accountable for inserting the obstacles and indicators and for eradicating them once more on the finish of the occasion.
Streets Alive present helpful steerage and details about operating avenue events.
In case you are not in a position to shut your highway, you may nonetheless have an off-the-cuff ‘avenue meet’ on a driveway, parking space, pavement, entrance backyard or finish of a cul-de-sac. This doesn’t normally require permission from the council, nevertheless it’s greatest to test with them first. Then simply decide a spot on the street to have your get-together.
You’ll be able to apply for an everyday (month-to-month) avenue closure for the aim of avenue play. The process is similar as for a one-off avenue social gathering, however you solely want to use as soon as for dates as much as a yr forward. The applying kind is obtainable from the Freeway occasions workforce.
In case you are holding a parade and it’s obligatory to shut any roads to make sure the protection of the contributors it is advisable apply to the Occasions Workplace for a ‘short-term visitors regulation order’. Any prices related to the closure, diversion signing and stewarding should be borne by the occasion organisers.
Crèches, kids’s actions and work with weak adults
Crèches and different childcare companies are lined by the Youngsters Act.
Most crèches must be registered with Ofsted, however some small, one-off crèches don’t. For extra data see Working a Crèche.
Some persons are legally barred from doing sure forms of work with kids and weak adults. You’ll be able to test whether or not somebody is barred by doing an Enhanced DBS disclosure with barred checklist test. For extra data see Utilizing the Disclosure and Barring Service.